Friday, October 1, 2010

We have moved .....

Yes we finally did it ..... we moved from the cold, mold ridden, noisey (screaming kids, who scream for no reason, other then to scream, car alarms that went off during the night for whatever reason, and PARTIES until 3-4 in the morning for no good reason) that was fun ........ Some months ago, when Carol had "the Hep", I started to look for another place.... one day when she felt a bit better, she came with to see an apartment, and in the process we (she) found a small 3 story building in the process of being built..... when we spoke to the husband of the owner, he invited us to take a look at the apartments and we mentioned we had a dog ("No problem") that seldom happens ..... we go to the top of the building, and what can I say....."It was love a first site" .... 3rd storey, view of the mountains, city and a large patio to enjoy the really nice (normally) weather! It was the Dream apartment ..... and as it turned out, it was a dream .... You can check out the view from, not quite the top of the 3rd storie, in this video...



The following week,  the owner told us that her father had decided to take the place, as he was a recent widower, and preferred the smaller of the two apartments ..... Sounding like a bait and switch? ..... weeeell that's what it turned out to be..... after informing us that the 3rd story was not available .... "hooooowever the 2nd story (less view, no patio to enjoy the nice weather)  is available and you can have that unit" .... well the neighborhood is nice and the area is 1000 times more tranquil, and only 15 minutes to the city center (walking) ... so we decided to take the place ..... "Next question?" "When will it be ready?" 2 months she affirmed .... this is where it starts to sound like the movie "The Money Pit" .....  remember the Schreck or Shmelck or Streck brothers? (whatever there name was) .... "2 weeks" then 2 weeks later "2 weeks" well that's what happened here ..... roll the tape forward 4 MONTHS and we moved.... We gave notice on our old place and were ready to move in September 1, the day before the move, the place has yet to be cleaned up from all the construction ..... so we go in and start cleaning ... of course the owners think we're crazy (we probably are) Crazy Americans! But we had no place to go and they would have cleaned it,  and we would have Heilig cleaned it, then moved in .... so we decided to skip the second step and went right for the cleaning juggler .... grumbling along the way....

The apartment....



Then the actual move ....

A lady we met at a furniture store gave us a name of  "a guy" who does deliveries for the store ... she explains that he usually get a few guys from the low pay district and then shows up, to move all your stuff and it all costs less the 75.00 .... I'm in, as I don't have to lift a finger and it all gets moved! ..... So I give "the guy" a call, and he lets me know he can get together a few days later, and doesn't know exactly where we live, but asks me to come out to the street at a certain hour, so he can see me and then he will load up the goods and we will be on our way.... How simple can that be ... RIGHT ..... weeeell   evidently not that simple ...... I don't go out to the street at the appropriate time because no one and I mean no one is on time here... I told him to call me when he gets there ... which he didn't and finally when I call him he asks me why I wasn't there .... my question was "why didn't you call me if you were there, so that I would come out?" .... I have gone out to do that kind of thing before, and waited for 30-45 minutes ... so this time I thought I would make the most of my time, and keep preparing stuff, to get loaded up, and moved out ..... believe me it all made sense at the time.... well now he tells me he can't come for about an hour (that's translates 1:30 MINIMUM) When he shows up he's alone... so I ask him where are the other guys who are going to do the lifting, and he tells me, that I didn't tell him, that I wanted guys to do the lifting..... so guess who's going to do the lifting now ..... yeah ..... ME! This did not work out the way it was promised ..... "he shows up with a couple of guys to move all your stuff" ..... That's what I was told! (and yes it was in english, so I didn't get something fouled up due to the language).... Well we get all the junk here and of course some of it was banged up a bit .... but we got in and all is well .... It's a really nice apartment .... we're happy to be here .... new, no mold issues, sunny, lots of windows and a relatively quiet neighborhood ... quiet for latin America .... Right Carl?

Ooooooh by the way, speaking of Carl,  we are in the neck of the woods of the couple formally known as TGC or The Golden Couple .... so we are hoping that things will be going, all our way as we should be benefiting from the "the good vibes" coming from their direction 5 blocks away.

One other thing.... Carl upon arriving in Cuenca from the States (yes United or so they say) proclaims that "it's cold" ...... Well Carl you actually missed the "cold" (big surprise there) while you were enjoying the summertime on your trip ..... we had what I would call a cold snap... we probably had about 5 days during the month of August, when we had Mr. Sunshine with us ... there was one day, when I had about 4 layers of clothing on .... One young brother told me, his grampa told him this is the coldest it had been in 50 years ..... yeah we were here .... and Webbs?  ..... At the beach, in the warmth of Summer, in the USA.... Am I bitter? You bet I am! .... No not really... I'm glad they had a great time ..... No really I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment