Thursday, December 30, 2010

Customer service and the USA



Customer service .... Usually something that all of us complain about ..... Especially when your trying to return something ..... If you are one of the readers of this blog that lives where the customer service is good then good for you.... No better said, great for you! .... Here in EC there really is no such thing as customer service .... Well they say there is but it really isn't, not in the sense we are accustomed to, that is, if your from the US, Canada or from Australia.

For example......

We are in the US for work and to visit my Dad and other family. The formally know GC asked us if we could return an item they bought, while in the US, sometime back .... Now in EC you have a unwritten 30 day guarantee .... After that if you have a problem it's your problem "not ours" or so they say ... I have figured out a few possible work arounds to that mentality but never actually put them into practice .... Perhaps one day we will try putting them into practice and find out if they really work..... Anyway, the return in the USA .... I go into BBB no not the better business bureau, Bed Bath & Beyoooooond, and the little lady at the "customer service department" asks how she can help,.... I share with her the problem with the item and she does'nt even look in the bag to see what's in there ..... There could have been a dead rat for all she knew .... No she didn't even look .... Just told me to go and get another one ..... Well there were different sizes so I didn't know which one to take back to EC to the Webbs .... At this point the manager gets involved and directs me to the exact item ... I ask what more I need to do and she says "nothing" .... Oh I'm sure there is something I need to do right? "nope" "well yes take your junk and go"! Nothing else? Nooooooo! She says ..... And looks at me like what is your problem mister ...... I'm thinking my problem is I live in Ecuador and this is just not normal, what your doing and I want, I need a little more resistance .... Nasty looks and general frustration when I try to return something..... What's the matter with you people? Oh I know what's the matter with you people, you've been taught to have a measure of customer service.... A really good measure of customer service!

Lesson learned

So the next time you have a problem and have to return something to a store, just remember that customer service does exist in many countries, and if you happen to live in one where it does exist, even if it's not perfect .... Be greatful as you could be trying to return something in EC and have them look at you like your a moron from another planet, and then have them tell you "we don't even sell that here" well not this week you don't ..... But last month when I bought it here you did.... And then have them tell you it's past the 1 month guarantee, Uuuuuuuuugh!

Oh one other thing... now you know, if you stay with the Webbs you have a nice mattress to sleep on ;-)...

No comments:

Post a Comment